Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Una Nueva Cultura

Coming to Panama was not going to be anything new for me, but the purpose for which I am going is different. Having been in Panama once before I knew a little of what to expect, but I have never travelled to Panama with the purpose of community health. It has been so very interesting and eye opening to see all that we have seen thus far. Today, was our first day to go out and work in the communities. I am part of the group that is working in Hato Juli in the province of Chriqui. Here there are many indigenous people that live a very simple life. They all have the same attire that they wear, live off the land, and very much keep to themselves. It was very difficult today communicating with the indigenous people because they are very timid. I was teaching on the importance of vaccinations in general as well as personal hygiene and there was no response from them, not even a nod of the head. My only hope is that they that information and apply it in their lives.

Once in Panama, I had expected conditions alot worse than they are. There is still no air conditioning and cold showers and beans and rice, but that is expected of any trip like this. The place where we are staying is very well taken care of and has a beautiful, natural landscape. The genuiness of the people is what I miss from the last time I was in Panama. The people are grateful for what they have and have a smile on their face even when they don´t have much. Being here, again reminds me to keep the main thing the main thing and to be grateful for what I have.

I am looking forward to the weeks to come in order to improve my spanish, to learn so much of this community, and to understand the healthcare system here in Panama.

No comments:

Post a Comment