Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Post 1

So this is my first post to this blog on the afternoon of day 6 in Panama. When we first drove through and walked around Panama City I was surprised at the massive, beautiful architecture present. My initial perception was that this country was quite poor, and could not afford such luxeries. As we ventured further into the city however I noticed many slums and the poverty present surrounding these amazing structures. Our next stop was the City of Knowledge, which we spent a few days at. I was pleasently suprised with the accomadations which reminded me of summer camp. Wireless internet, A/C, running wáter, fridge and hot showers were there to greet us when we arrived. We took full advantage of the facilities during our stay, indulging in ultímate frisbee, beach volleyball, swimming and high diving to name a few.
From the city we took a long drive over to the district of San Felix where we have been staying at a very nice missión. The missión padre and accompanying staff have been quite hospitable to our needs. We have showered every night and indulged in delicious meals every day, consisting mostly of rice and beans : ) While here, we have had the chance to visit the local University and hospital in Chiriqui, as well as the clinics for the local Ngobe tribe which inhabits the surrounding lands. Today we took a ride out to those clinics to help and learn. I was amazed by the nurses tremendous skill and utilization of limited resources. It seemed to me that she would have been able to fullfill the job of both the doctor and nurse had the doctor not been present. When comparing the healthcare here in Panama, I have witnessed so far compared to what is present in the U.S, I would have to say that Panama is severly lacking. The technology present at their hospitals is less than what we have at our outpatient clinics back home. Their text for reserch and medical reference is severly limited and outdated. Despite these henderences, I percieved the medical staff providing care on a basis on level with that of the U.S. I believe this is achieved through their strong commitment and compassion for what they do; we could use more like them back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment