Friday, May 27, 2011

Blog #2

Today was our third day in the clinic at Hato Juli. It has been an incredible experience so far!

Wednesday I started off by taking a bunch of vital signs prior to the patients receiving vaccinations (vacunes en espanol). Then I got the opportunity to shadow the internist, Dr. Iro Montezuma. He assessed a few patients and prescribed some medications for scabies, cold, GI upset, parasites, headaches, etc. Unfortunately a nurse was not present, so I was limited on the procedures I could take part in. Regardless, it was amazing to be immersed in such a different community as the Ngobe tribe.

Yesterday we got the opportunity to follow the community promotor into the community instead of staying at the clinic. Since he had already been to the area close to the clinic, we got to talk to the people, play with the children, and do some cancer risk surveys for class. It was incredible to interact with people even with such a limited understanding of their language. It has been a challenge practicing my Spanish, but I do think it is coming along!

Today a nurse was finally present and myself and fellow students got the chance to give IM vaccination injections to women, men and children. It was a learning experience! We each did about three or four vaccines.

I find it so interesting how things work in the comarca. Nurse techs are allowed to give vaccines, doctors do not run labs to diagnose and prescribe, the people have no potable water source, all of the women wear (beautiful) long colorful dresses, etc. The houses in the comarca all seem to have clay floors and are very open-- I don´t recall seeing any doors. I am curious to see what the Ngobe people think of us Gringos being here and how they feel about their healthcare system (which is socialized in Panama).

Mas luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment