Friday, June 10, 2011

oh baby, baby!

Hola!

So, I witnessed the miracle of birth at the hospital. It all happened much faster than I expected. We were ushered into a fairly large room just as the mother was getting ready to push. The thing that I found to be the most bizarre was the fact that the doors stayed wide open throughout the entire birth. Patient privacy definitely does NOT exist in Panama! The mother needed an episiotomy which was performed by a doctor and a med student. As soon as the incision had been made it was smooth sailing from there and a beautiful baby girl was born within a few minutes. The attention was turned to the newborn as they suctioned the nose and mouth, performed the apgar, and all the other necessary immediate tasks. The mother was unbelievably calm and the look on her face as she smiled at her new baby almost made me tear up. This trip has offered me so many new experiences and I wouldn't trade the last 3 weeks for anything.. well except for maybe a lettuce wrap. (JK!) :)

1 comment: