Friday, June 10, 2011

CRISTINA RONDOLINO- Bitter sweet goodbye

Last day in Panama and I think we are all a little sad. A week ago we would have killed to go home. But, now that we are at the City of Knowledge and easing ourselves back to the luxurious life of semi-hot showers and not sleeping in a room with 17 other girls, I think we will be sad to leave. Last night we went to the discotcca and we all danced our last night in Panama away.
I wont be leaving Panama with just a bag full of coffee and souvenirs. I am leaving having made some really great friends and with an experience that will stay with me forever. This experience was truly invaluable to me because it opened my eyes to the struggles that people around the world go through. The Alto Caballero community had no running water or a safe source of drinking water. It infiltrated every aspect of their lives. I will think of them the next time that I am faced with a dilemma and realize that I am lucky to have the resources I have.
We saw the people wait patiently outside the clinics for hours and sometimes would not get the help they came for and still never once complained, or made a scene. I will think of the Ngobe Bugle people the next time I am impatient (which is often) and realize ,again, that I am lucky.
And next time a storm is rolling in, I will not be sad that it ruined my beach day, but I will be happy that is is bringing lives most precious resource to me and I will think of the Ngobe Bugle people rejoicing when the rain came.
I am also leaving, a lot more confident in my clinical skills. I was able to start an IV for the first time on this trip and I probably did 60 IM injections. I got a head start on pediatrics and OB. I measured the fundus, found the fetal heart beat and, oh yeah, I saw birth! I brushed up on my Spanish speaking skills as well.
All in all it was a wonderful trip. A little rocky at times with what seemed like one catastrophe after another, but it all just adds to the memory. AMERICA HERE WE COME!

1 comment:

  1. Even opening up a water bill felt different today, never mind the tap. Let's remember all this learning now that we're back!

    ReplyDelete