Sunday, June 5, 2011

Birth

I cried for the first time during clinicals. Thank God they were happy tears! I witnessed my first birth at the Women and Children's hospital in David, Panama. The woman was 19 and it was her first child. The woman started to bleed more frequently right before she got a strong contraction. I could see tufts of black hair. A few more contractions and I could see a quarter of the head. the worse part was watching the episiotomy. I knew I wasn't the one being cut, but I still cringed. After two more big pushes and all of the mother's energy the baby plopped right out. I was so excited for her and all I could do was smile all day. Witnessing the entire labor and procedures to follow definitely made me think twice about having children. When the time is right and with the right person!
After the healthy baby boy was delivered the doctor tied and cut off the umbilical cord did a quick exam to evaluate for any abnormalities. The mother was happy but in a lot of pain. Once the doctor carefully pulled out the placenta she felt more relieved. It's amazing how much can fit in a woman in addition to all her internal organs. Afterwards I got to witness another birth and this time it was a baby girl. I was thankful again that the staff and mothers let us watch because the hospital does not even allow the fathers to watch. I will never forget this day! Every day is a new adventure and the entire trip has felt like a vacation with new experiences and education.

No comments:

Post a Comment